Published by the Society of Friends and Advocates, this welfare check list for ensuring the welfare of one’s child and children is derived from the United Nations Convention for the Rights of the Child to which the UK is a subscriber.
We sent it to the Director of Children’s Services in Barnet – the Council responsible for getting Melissa Laird arrested in Spain, imprisoned in Holloway and deported to the US so that her son could be adopted…
You may consider using our letter to Barnet Council as a model for taking parental responsibility for your child whilst in the ‘care’ of your local authority.
Article 3 of the UN Convention for the Rights of the Child says:
1. In all actions concerning children, whether undertaken by public or private social welfare institutions, courts of law, administrative authorities or legislative bodies, the best interests of the child shall be a primary consideration.
2. States Parties undertake to ensure the child such protection and care as is necessary for his or her well-being, taking into account the rights and duties of his or her parents, legal guardians, or other individuals legally responsible for him or her, and, to this end, shall take all appropriate legislative and administrative measures.
3. States Parties shall ensure that the institutions, services and facilities responsible for the care or protection of children shall conform with the standards established by competent authorities, particularly in the areas of safety, health, in the number and suitability of their staff, as well as competent supervision.
Given the Jimmy Savile scandal and numerous other reports on deaths and abuse taking place whilst children are in ‘care’, it is paramount that parents protect their children and get the assurance from Local Authorities that the best interest of the child is indeed guaranteed.
- WHAT WOULD I DO if my Children were Taken Away by ‘Social’ Services? (punishmentwithoutcrime.wordpress.com)
- Child protection scandal: councils accused of complacency (telegraph.co.uk)
- Why Are Aboriginal Children Being Removed From Canadian Parents at an ‘Alarming’ Rate? (theblaze.com)
- Birmingham is still failing to protect children from abuse (theguardian.com)
- Children of Incarcerated Parents (indianajuvenilejustice.com)
- Reports of child abuse to NSPCC soar following Jimmy Savile scandal (standard.co.uk)
- Child protection system ‘creaking’ (bbc.co.uk)
- Social workers face jail over parent access row (edinburghnews.scotsman.com)