Help4LiPs are invited to discuss Litigants in Person and the challenges for McKenzie Friends with those who could make a difference. Hence we put these recommendations together:
- The need for acting as McKenzie Friend arose for many individuals out of very different circumstances, but generally:
- Being or having been victim of white collar crimes themselves;
- Acting on behalf of victims who suffered from solicitors and / or barristers, on top of whatever damage or crime they had suffered.
- Corruption in the legal profession and the courts is a real problem.
- In our observation, assisting Litigants in Person became necessary for the following reasons:
- Ministers and MPs didn’t do anything about fraudulent bankruptcies and home repossessions;
- It was impossible to find family lawyers who were acting in the interest of parents whose children were taken into care or forcibly adopted by Social Services;
- Prison conditions of Litigants in Person in general and parents of child snatching in particular were so appalling that more help became necessary.
- As Voluntary Public Interest Advocates, we don’t charge for what we do.
- I often recommend victims to contact Alex Moore on www.my-mckenziefriend.co.uk who charges £50 / hour. He has a lot of experience and has helped pro bono with advice over the phone.
In our view it is advisable to have McKenzie Friends associated with every law practice – hoping that this will improve the ethics behind their practices that seem to just want to benefit from the ‘public gravy train’.